Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tofu Lettuce Wraps



Delicious Delicious
I received my first issue of Vegetarian Times from my sister-in-law last week and was inspired by these lettuce wraps. The original recipe calls for water chestnuts but I used shitake mushrooms instead. Other good additions would be bamboo shoots sliced up. The recipe below is from the magazine with my addition of the mushrooms and a little substitution I made. Make it with what you like!

Filling:
2 TBS olive oil or vegetable oil
1 red onion
1 package shitake mushrooms
1 can water chestnuts or bamboo shoots (optional)
1 TBS ginger*
1 TBS lemon grass
2 cloves minced or crushed garlic
1lb Xtra firm tofu
4 TBS soy sauce*
4TBS hoisen sauce*
1-2 squirts vegan chile sauce
Shredded carrot
2-3 chopped scallions (white and green parts)
Chopped mint and Thai basil

* I cheated and found a sauce at Trader Joe's called Soyaki which had all of these ingredients in it already and used that instead.

Saute mush rooms and diced onion in oil. When cooked add lemon grass ginger and garlic and cook for 3-4min. Next crumble in tofu and add sauces. Cook for an additional 5min until warmed through. At the end add shredded carrot and chopped scallions as well as mint and basil.

Optional toppings:
crushed peanuts
lime wedges
peanut sauce
chille sauce
additional mint or scallions

Serve with Boston lettuce leaves and any additional toppings so people can make their own wraps. This would be a fun and easy entertaining menu if you rounded it out with some good Asian inspired appetizers like vegetable pot-stickers or veggie sushi.

5 comments:

Sarah! said...

I didn't have mint or thai basil. I didn't even have tofu, something I realized too late when I got to the step "add tofu." (I think the first step of every recipe should be "Make sure you have all ingredients," but I would probably ignore that too.)

Anyways, I subbed tofu with chickpeas and used Trader Joes chinese 5 spice and some rice wine. It turned out pretty good, but chili oil really adds something to it.

John says my leaf lettuce are a little small (true) but it's pretty tasty.

This reminds me that chickpeas are my substitute of choice for meat potstickers. I should give you the recipe!

Sarah! said...

oh, and next time I should have limes. And peanuts.

Lauren said...

i love that you had almost none of the ingredients but were inspired anyway. that is why i watch non-vegan cooking shows.

Lauren said...

oh yeah they are also called TOFU wraps =)

Sarah! said...

I know, I know. Tofu fail.

But delicious win.