Monday, January 19, 2009

Spaghetti Squash and Spicy Tomato Basil Sauce



Delicious Delicious
My co-worker Liz and I both saw Rachel Ray make spaghetti squash about 2 months ago and came to work the next day excited by this new idea and ready to try it. Well Liz made it multiple times and I of course found other things to distract me until now. I have to say that this is really good and very fun to make. The squash is very healthy and not too heavy like real pasta which means you can have big honkin' portions which makes me happy!

To make squash roast one spaghetti squash halved and brushed with olive oil at 400 for about 45min to an hour. When done use a fork to scrape out inside (ohmigod it looks like spaghetti!). One squash makes enough for 3 LARGE servings.

For the sauce you can use anything you want but I think the squash needs something really savory and salty. My sauce:

2 TBS EVOO
2 cloves garlic
red pepper flakes
3 TBS capers
Red wine
1 large can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup kalmata olives
Fresh basil


Saute garlic and red pepper to taste in EVOO for 5 min add capers and red wine and let cook down. Add tomatoes and cook on medium until thickened. Add olives and basil right before serving on top of squash.

3 comments:

Gianna said...

yum!

Sarah! said...

Do you have to cover the squash with anything when you put it in the oven? Like foil? Or can you just put it on a sheet and let it go?

Lauren said...

just put some oil on it. the edges will get a little brown and caramelized