Monday, April 12, 2010

Almond Joy Cupcakes



Delicious Delicious

These cupcakes are gluten free and taken from a recipe my aunt made last week. The frosting is from Licking the Beaters, a low fat vegan cookbook. You really don't need the frosting because the cakes are moist and delicious and healthy enough to eat for breakfast.

Gluten Free Almond Coconut Cakes:
1 1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup organic unrefined sugar
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

2 TBS canola oil
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 TBS flax seed meal mixed with 3 TBS HOT water (Let sit for 10min before adding to wet ingredients)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Add wet to dry, and mix until combined. Fill lightly sprayed foil muffin liners with a heaping TBS of batter. Bake 20 min. Makes 6-8 muffins.
Note: Using these muffins for breakfast would be great since they are pretty healthy. I would like to try adding some cinnamon and raisins.

Chocolate Almond Butter Frosting: Lickin' The Beaters: Low Fat Vegan Desserts by Sue Moffat
Combine the following ingredients in the bottom of a sauce pan:
3 TBS soy milk
2 TBS almond butter
4 TBS cocoa
6 TBS maple syrup (I used agave nectar because I didn't want the taste of maple)
Whisk together the ingredients until smooth. In a separate bowl mix together 4tsp arrowroot powder and 1/4 soymilk. Pour into chocolate mixture in pan. Heat on medium low and stir occasionally until thickened for 10 minutes. Let cakes and frosting cool before frosting.

6 comments:

crunchyveganwifelife said...

I new to your blog, but oh my goodness...I could practically taste this through the screen!!! Yummy yummy yummy!!!

Lauren said...

So glad you like the looks of them! For truly decadent dessert that no one believes is vegan-check out the chocolate banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting(lower on the page).They are my FAVORITE!bLet me know if you try anything and have any comments or suggestions =)

PB and Jess said...

I'm new to your blog too...drawn in by those lovely cupcakes!

I have the "Lickin' the beaters" cookbook but I've never made that frosting...yum!!

Lauren said...

Hi PB&J! Glad you like the blog-these cupcakes are great but I think better as muffins. The frosting was good but could be better. I checked out your blog and I bet you could use some of those fancy nut butters to make this frosting more flavorful. I LOVE nut butters especially peanut butter. Check out the chocolate banana cupcakes with peanut butter mousse frosting in my Superbowl post. They are my favorite-I hope you like them! Let me know what you think.

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Hi Lauren! I was wondering if you could send me your recipe for Coco pinapple sundaes? I was browsing your blog today and saw them again! I miss eating pinepple sherbert, which is my favorite in the summer...If you still have the recipe will you share????
Btw, the chocolate banana cupcakes with peanut butter frost, look amazing!!!

Lauren said...

Hi VV
I just used coconut sorbet from the store and chopped mango and pineapple and mint to go on top! Purely decadent coconut ice cream would be good too!