Thursday, May 28, 2009

Falafel



Delicious Delicious

I have an addiction to confess. I am OBSESSED with falafel. I don't know what it is but it is my new favorite thing. Wait that's a lie I know I love it because it's fried =( I have a weakness for fried things and have cut most fried food out of my life just by being vegan, but falafel still haunts my dreams. So needles to say after slowly going from having one falafel a month to twice a week a couple weeks ago I knew I had to STOP THE MADNESS! These baked falafel are a good substitute with strong flavors. The garlic cilantro tahini also adds so much flavor that you might not miss the fat of the real thing! Stuff with lots of veggies like cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts and avocado (for some good fat) and you have a healthy meal and a happy mouth =)

Falafel: makes about 8 patties
1 can chick peas
1/2 red onion
1-3 cloves garlic (depending on the flavor you like. I love garlic and could eat it all day)
big handful cilantro and parsley
1TBS EVOO
1TBS white or whole wheat flour or chickpea flour
salt and pepper to taste
juice and zest of one lemon
cumin and coriander to taste (I recommend 1 TBS each)
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

Combine in a food processor until chunky but you can form it into golfballs. Roll into balls and flatten a little. Bake at 350 for 45 min. Serve in whole wheat pita with veggies and cilantro tahini:
1-2 TBS sesame tahini
1-2 TBS water
juice of half lemon
big handful cilantro
1 clove garlic crushed
salt and pepper to taste
Combine in mini food processor and serve over falafel.

No comments: